I’ve heard people say they don’t think handwriting is so important any more because of computers. Our kids are going to find that both are important. Handwriting is still important
Let’s list a few reasons why learning to write by hand is still so important:
- It teaches kids how to effectively control a pencil or pen with comfort
- It allows them to write easily and inexpensively, even without a device
- Writing by hand is recongnized by all societies and cultures
- The brain makes a very analog connection with what’s being recorded
- Taking notes while someone else is speaking demonstrates a very high level of respect and interest
- Taking notes by hand puts people more at ease than recording them on a computer
- Writing by hand is analog and is associated with lighting up regions of the brain very specific to a broad range of creativity.
Thanks for all you do to teach kids to read. Let me know how I can help.
Brainsarefun Fearless Friday Blog, published fearlessly every Friday, © 2013 by Rory Donaldson, email@example.com, 860-304-3178.