READING IS NOT AN ISOLATED SKILL
What makes a good reader? What allows some children to decipher and comprehend the words on a page while others struggle? It’s because good readers do not treat reading as an isolated skill.
Reading is not an isolated skill. Rather, it is made up of a variety of skills that must be mastered without the fear of failure or embarrassment:
- Being able to see the word (Has your child’s eyesight been tested?)
- Being able to hear the word
- Being able to sound-out the word phonically
- Being able to say the word
- Being able to place the word in a literate context
- Being able to copy the word
- Being able to sub-vocalize the word (saying the word in the throat while writing)
- Being able to repeat the word (saying the word aloud during chorusing)
- Being able to test without fear and anxiety
- Being able to associate reading and speaking with success
Reading is a skill that encompasses writing, listening, speaking, information organization, critical thinking and study skills. To facilitate these skills:
- Use tools and solutions that, in any given hour, maximize student involvement with the 10 reading skills (above).
- Use skills, tools and solutions that, in any given hour, provide students with 10 successes a minute, 500 successes an hour. A smile and eye-contact are worth about 200 successes.
- Use skills, tools and solutions that require very little planning, are always available, and cost little.
- Use skills, tools and solutions that have students on-task for 52 minutes out of every hour.
- Use skills, tools and solutions that are applicable to individual students and personalized goals as well as adaptable to classrooms.
- Use skills, tools and solutions that expose children, kids and students of all ages to massive amounts of oral reading, listening, writing, speaking and vocabulary until they leave home or turn 18, whichever comes first.
- Use skills, tools and solutions that may be used for a few minutes or up to two hours a day.
- Find a solution that’s easy to use and explain to others.
- Find a solution that will accelerate reading skills 200% in 20 hours of instruction.
- Stop waiting and making excuses.
* We know that some people don't have $24.95 right now to purchase Brainsarefun solutions, but still need success with reading and math this summer. If you need any of our solutions email me and I'll send them to you for free: firstname.lastname@example.org. I love to send stuff out for free. I love it when people buy our solutions. Either way kids win with reading and math. Thanks.
Rory Donaldson, reading, math and study-skills teacher. Brainsarefun founder. Fearless Friday Blog published fearlessly every Friday, © 2013 by Rory Donaldson, email@example.com, 860-304-3178.